Wooden floors are designed or constructed to look very good and last long, longer than most forms of flooring. They give interior spaces a cozy and natural warmth look which beautifies the environment. However, if one does not take care of their hardwood floors, they might end up causing wear and tear due to constant use.
Keeping your wooden floors nice and neat is important and giving it a glossy finish would bring out its luxurious nature. Polyurethane products are just the best solution for your project. It helps protect your floors while keeping it neat for a long period of time. In this article, we are going to look at some of the water-based polyurethane you can get your hands on in the market.
|Product Name||Coverage||Recoat dry (hours)||Sheen||Size (liters)||Material||Price|
|Bona Mega Wood Floor Finish|
|125-150 sq ft per quart||2,5 - 3||satin, semi-gloss, gloss||3.79||Polyurethane|
|Minwax 710330000 Water Based||125 sq ft per quart||2||gloss, satin, semi-gloss||3.79||Water Based|
|General Finishes||125-150 sq ft per quart||3||flat, satin, semi-gloss, gloss||3.785||Water Based|
|Bona Traffic HD||350-400 sq ft per gallon||2 - 3||satin, semi-gloss, extra matte||3.48||Water, Polymer(s), and amorphous silica|
|RUST-OLEUM FBA||185-370 sq ft per gallon||4||satin, semi-gloss, gloss, matte||3.78||Water Based|
1. Bona Mega Wood Floor Finish Satin– Best satin polyurethane for floors
Bona Mega Wood Floor Finish Satin is a water-based polyurethane solution that is used for wood floor finishing. It is a solution for people that are on a budget but require the full specifications and requirements of a quality water-based poly. It is made available in semi-gloss, satin and gloss. The Bona Mega Wood Floor Finish Satin has been tested and proven to work accurately while meeting all the standards of water-based poly.
The application of this product is very easy. To get the best results, try applying three coats with sanding in between or not. It is also advisable to apply it on a humid or warm day.
2. Minwax 710330000 Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane– Fast drying polyurethaneMinwax 710330000 Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane is a chemical that forms a protective coating that is crystal clear and ultra-fast drying for interior wood. It is manufactured with the sole purpose of use on interior wood surfaces such as panels, cabinets, doors, trims, and hardwood floors. The coating of this product is fit for use on bare wood in both waterborne or oil-based stains and it cleans up easily using just soap and warm water.
Recoating does not take time because this product has little amounts of Volatile Organic Compounds and it can be done within two hours after the first application. Compared with most solvent-based products, Minwax 710330000 Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane dries fast, has low odor and is very clear, forming a protective layer around the beauty of your project.
3. General Finishes High-Performance Water-Based Polyurethane– Best for Interior and ExteriorThis General Finishes High-Performance product is a Water-Based polyurethane, produced and manufactured by General Finishes. It is rated as one of the most durable and hardest products available in the market. It helps protect all underlying stains which prevent discoloration and fading. It also includes a UV stabilizer that helps the surface which is applied on to be resistant to sun rays or sunlight.
Unlike most water-based poly, the General Finishes High-Performance Water-Based solution can be used on floors. It is resistant to scrubbing, scratches, bruises, etc with low or no odor. The application is very easy as this product sticks and glides easily on any surface without any bubbles showing up. This water-based poly dries very quickly in no time and sometimes, it doesn’t require more than 2 coatings. This is a perfect finishing product for both professional and DIY enthusiast.
4. Bona Traffic HD Commercial Satin– Best polyurethane wood floor coatingBona Traffic HD Commercial Satin is a water-based residential and commercial hardwood floor finish which is Manufactured by Bona. If you want your project to have a premium finish while remaining durable and beautiful, this is the right product for you to use. It is designed specifically to be used in residential and commercial hardwood floors where there is a heavy flow of traffic.
It is certified by GREENGUARD for indoor air quality. It can be used in various places such as offices, shopping malls, stores, garages, theaters, etc. and due to its low VOC content, it is not harmful to the person applying the coating. A minimum of two coatings is required to get the best results while a third coating should be applied if it’s used on a commercial or residential surface which has a large flow of traffic.
5. RUST-OLEUM FBA 230031 Varathane Gallon Gloss Waterborne Diamond Floor Finish– Best polyurethane floor finishThe RUST-OLEUM FBA 230031 Varathane Gallon Gloss Waterborne Polyurethane comes in a one-gallon packaging just like all the other products on the list. Due to the unique formula which was derived by the RUST-OLEUM, it is perfect for hardwood floors whether they are dark or light. The RUST-OLEUM FBA 230031 Varathane Gallon Gloss Waterborne Diamond Floor Finish is characterized by its high resistivity to stains, scratches, and abrasions as well as its superior durability.
The company also tested and made sure that no cleaning products would react with this product. Users can clean the finished floors with various cleaning chemicals which would not affect your work. The RUST-OLEUM FBA 230031 Varathane Gallon Gloss Waterborne Diamond Floor Finish is also used to repair dented or stained floors. Professionals advise that coating with this chemical twice will restore any surface to its original taste while giving it a glowing or glossy finish.
Why is Purchasing a Good Water-Based Poly Important?
Whether you are a DIY enthusiast, a professional woodworker or a hobbyist, Purchasing a quality water-based poly is not only needed but absolutely necessary. If you make use of Low-quality water-based poly, you can make mistakes which can lead to loss of materials, time and an increase in difficulty when trying to achieve your desired project. Take your time and make research on the product you decide to buy and invest in the one that meets all your needs and specifications.
A good water-based poly is very affordable but it is important that you compare different products and their prices before you make any decision. If you have different products available, rest each and every one of them on a sample strip of wood so you can determine the texture, color, scent, durability, drying time, etc. Once the decision is already made, try as much as possible to buy more than you feel you need. You do not want to run out of polyurethane in the middle of your project.
When is it Recommended to Use Water-Based Polyurethanes rather than Oil-Based
When is it Recommended to Use Oil-Based Polyurethanes rather than Water-Based
A polyurethane coating is essential for a hardwood floor because it provides a layer that acts as a protective cover so that you do not wear out your product. Water-based poly is as effective as oil-based poly and they provide a lighter and clearer color impact. We have gone through the various products we believe are the best when it comes to water-based polyurethanes and we hope to have helped you come to a decision. If you haven’t made up your mind yet, you can consider researching further on your choice.